This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1666 / 55°9'59"N
Longitude: -1.6004 / 1°36'1"W
OS Eastings: 425553
OS Northings: 585884
OS Grid: NZ255858
Mapcode National: GBR K88P.9Q
Mapcode Global: WHC2S.DD4J
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 18 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041416
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235872
Location: Ashington, Northumberland, NE62
Civil Parish: Ashington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Ashington Holy Sepulchre
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
WANSBECK A 1068
NZ 28 NE (East side)
2/1 The Old Rectory
Rectory. Probably late C17, remodelled and extended to rear in late C18,
wings further extended and internal alterations early C19. Front squared
stone, returns rubble, rear wings squared roughly-tooled stone; mixed blue/
purple slate roof with old brick stacks. South front 2 storeys, 3 bays.
Ground floor 15-pane sashes forming French windows, with 12-pane sashes above
except for triple plate-glass casement to left. Coped gables with end stacks.
Left return shows 2 iron-latticed casements, formerly to attic, in gable end of
main block; and 4-bay rear wing with ½-glazed door, with early C20 leaded
glazing, and 12-pane sashes. Right return shows rear wing with radial-glazed
arched stair window. To rear, original stair wing, set back between later
wings, has old flush-panelled door under radial fanlight, 4- and 12-pane sashes,
and reverse-stepped gable.
Interior: Dog-leg open-string stair with 3 stick balusters to each tread.
Wreathed and ramped moulded handrail and moulded newels. Modillion cornice.
On 1st floor segmental arches with moulded imposts and beaded keyblocks;
2-panel doors to bedrooms. 1st floor of front block has been a single chamber
in the early C19, the east end now partitioned off: west part has spectacular
ceiling, open to ridge, with lattice of faceted timbers covering each roof
slope, collar beams similarly treated and heavy cornice with zigzag, dogtooth
and billet moulding. Fireplace from Haggerstone Castle.
An extensive and interesting house, perhaps on a medieval site. The ruins of
Sheepwash Church had been removed by the late C18-, but the rectory continued
in use, serving Bothal Church (q.v.) until the late C19.
Listing NGR: NZ2555385884
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings