This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4148 / 55°24'53"N
Longitude: -1.7085 / 1°42'30"W
OS Eastings: 418552
OS Northings: 613469
OS Grid: NU185134
Mapcode National: GBR J5HT.XR
Mapcode Global: WHC1K.Q5M8
Entry Name: Ye Olde Cross Public House 'Dirty Bottles'
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Last Amended: 25 August 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041432
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235805
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
(North East Side)
(Ye Olde Cross Public House
NU 1813 SE 1/68 20.2.52.
Right hand part of 2 windows C17; left hand part of 3 windows later with early
C19 attic storey. Two storeys and attic. Painted dressed stone. The right hand
part has a moulded eaves cornice, modern tiles and raking top former with a Yorkshire
sash window. Two light casement windows. Stone bracketted hood over doorway.
Above is a shield upside down with the de Vesci arms (a cross patonce, hence the
name of the inn), probably C13. On the ground floor is an old bow window containing
the dirty bottles said to have been left there in the early C19 and by local superstition
kept there (hence the nickname of the inn). The left hand part has a built up
gabled dormer; plate glass sashes on 1st floor and attic, a glazing bar sash window
on ground floor to right and on left a modern recessed bow; a blocked doorway between
them. Gable light to attic on left. Slate roof with moulded cast iron gutter.
Listing NGR: NU1856313471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings