This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4149 / 55°24'53"N
Longitude: -1.7108 / 1°42'38"W
OS Eastings: 418405
OS Northings: 613485
OS Grid: NU184134
Mapcode National: GBR J5HT.DQ
Mapcode Global: WHC1K.P5J5
Entry Name: Pottergate Tower
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041444
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235835
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnwick
Built-Up Area: Alnwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 1813 SW 4/98
NU 1813 NW 3/98 20.2.52.
Formerly part of the town's defences. Rebuilt 1768 to a design by Mr Henry Bell
with a crown spire (removed in 1812). Gothick, with ornament to east. Two stages:
archway with barrel vaulted passage of 3 ribs on ground floor; blind tracery panels
on 1st floor which has a large ogee window with perpendicular type tracery. Open
embattled parapet. Diagonal buttresses with 4 stages of blind cusped arches having
crocketted labels; stunted tops. Above archway is a St Michael and Dragon, a blank
roundel (formerly with a clock) and a memorial tablet: "This tower was rebuilt
at the expense of the Borough of Alnwick and the new foundation laid April 28 AD.
1768. John Grey Senior, William Hindmarsh, Robert Richardson, Edward Bell, Chamberlain.
To the north and south are fragments possibly of the old town walls. North, south
and west fronts plainer with occasional arrow slit. Staircase in north-west corner.
Listing NGR: NU1840613487
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings