History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

58 and 60 Bondgate Within

A Grade II Listed Building in Alnwick, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4141 / 55°24'50"N

Longitude: -1.7072 / 1°42'25"W

OS Eastings: 418637

OS Northings: 613391

OS Grid: NU186133

Mapcode National: GBR J5JV.60

Mapcode Global: WHC1K.R58T

Entry Name: 58 and 60 Bondgate Within

Listing Date: 20 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041521

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235635

Location: Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Alnwick

Built-Up Area: Alnwick

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Alnwick

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Alnwick

Listing Text

NU 1813 SE
1/26

BONDGATE WITHIN (north side)
Numbers 58 and 60

20.2.52

GV
II
Said to have been originally built from stone taken from the 1st Abbey burnt in
the C12. Probably medieval in basic structure but very much altered. C16 or
C17 as it is now with later alterations. Two storeys with steep pitched slate
roof and 2 brick chimneys, one in centre (formerly with gigantic breast), one to
right. No 58 has 2 windows, C19 glazing bar sashes, with a rendered front; No
60 rubble built, a modern casement to left and a blind window to right with Percy
Crescent and Lion under a Tudor label. Shop front to No 58 has carved fascia scrolls
and doorway set between windows; No 60 has smaller 2 light shop window with door
to right and bracketted fascia. To right of this is doorway to throughpassage
in which on the east wall is built a de Vesci shield (with a cross patonce); the
throughpassage terminates in an old, now rendered, round headed arch. In the wall
of a former hatter's shop at the rear of the premises are a medieval corbel head
and a shaft ring.


Listing NGR: NU1865013409

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.