History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory and Attached Outbuilding

A Grade II Listed Building in Quinton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1816 / 52°10'53"N

Longitude: -0.8659 / 0°51'57"W

OS Eastings: 477641

OS Northings: 254312

OS Grid: SP776543

Mapcode National: GBR BX2.9WF

Mapcode Global: VHDSC.YF3F

Entry Name: The Old Rectory and Attached Outbuilding

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041531

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235564

Location: Quinton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Quinton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Quinton and Preston Deanery St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Hardingstone

Listing Text

QUINTON
SP7754
19/164 The Old Rectory and attached
outbuilding

GV II

House, formerly rectory. C17 largely rebuilt c.1800. Coursed squared limestone,
slate roof, rendered end stacks. L-plan. 3-storey, 4-window range. Principal
elevation faces garden to south and has central C20 glazed door with rendered
surround in gabled porch of brick, rendered, with limestone dressings. Porch
doorway has round-arched head, moulded keyblock, imposts and jambs and moulded
stone-coped stepped gable with stone cross to apex; stone above doorway
inscribed "PASTORI". C20 'French' windows to ground floor far left with wood
lintel. C20 windows replacing 12-pane sashes to ground floor right and left of
porch, all with wood lintels. Similar windows to 1st floor with flat-arched
heads and C20 windows to attic floor replacing small sashes, with flat-arched
heads. Plinth, stepped stone eaves and stone-coped gables with kneelers. Phoenix
fire insurance plaque below lst floor window to right of centre and stone below
with long Latin inscription, badly worn in places and obscured by creeper
beginning OMNIBUS. Lower wing to right extending to rear with C20 window
replacing tripartite sash to ground floor with wood lintel and similar window to
ist floor replacing 12-pane sash with wood lintel. Attached outbuilding projects
to far right with pantile roof and datestone to ironstone-coped gable inscribed
EB/1790; formerly stable, now garage. Interior: chamfered bressumer and open
fireplace with chamfered stone jambs and chamfered bressumer. Spacious open-well
staircase with simple carved tread-ends, stick balusters and ramped handrail.
Dining room has panelling to window wall panelled dado to one end wall and long
row of fitted glazed cupboards to inner wall with broken pediment to central
cupboard. Room upstairs has late C18 wood fireplace surround flanked by glazed
fitted cupboards. The Old Rectory was rebuilt by Edward Bayley, Rector
1775-1813.


Listing NGR: SP7764154312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.