History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Yardley Hastings, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.205 / 52°12'18"N

Longitude: -0.7339 / 0°44'2"W

OS Eastings: 486616

OS Northings: 257063

OS Grid: SP866570

Mapcode National: GBR CY6.M8J

Mapcode Global: VHDS8.7VC0

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 3 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041535

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235575

Location: Yardley Hastings, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Yardley Hastings

Built-Up Area: Yardley Hastings

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Yardley Hastings St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Ecton

Listing Text

YARDLEY HASTINGS HIGH STREET
SP8657 (East side)
17/175 Church of St. Andrew
03/05/68

GV II*

Church. C13 and C14. Restored 1883-1889 by George Sutherland, including
rebuilding of aisles and new nave roof. Further C20 restorations. Coursed
limestone rubble, limestone and ironstone dressings, lead and plain-tile roofs.
Chancel, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 3-bay chancel has 4-light east
window with reticulated tracery and 2-light windows to south with straight heads
and ogee-arched heads to lights, all with hood moulds and label stops renewed
C20, That to south-west has lower portion, blocked below transom. Chamfered
priest's doorway to south with old plank door. Nave has 5-window clerestory of
2-light windows with straight heads, ogee-arched heads to lights and hood
moulds. North aisle has 2-light windows to north with straight heads,
ogee-arched heads to lights and hood moulds, and similar 3-light windows to east
and west ends. South aisle has similar 2- and 3-light windows. Restored double
hollow-chamfered north door with hood mould. Single-stepped and hollow-chamfered
south doorway, with medieval ridged and studded plank door, probably C14, with
original hinges, brattished cross-piece at level of springing of arch, cusped
arch mouldings and scalloped top. C19 porch with double-chamfered doorway and
paired cusped chamfered 1-light windows to east and west sides. 3-stage west
tower has small plank door to north-east in pegged wood surround with overlight
divided by plain wood mullion, one half glazed with diamond-leaded panes, and
wood lintel. Pilaster buttress to middle of west side. 1-light windows to middle
stage south and west. Twin nook-shafted bell-chamber openings with central shaft
and round-headed lights, framed by rounded-headed arch. Worn dog-tooth ornament
to heads of lights of south and east bell-chamber openings. A single 1-light
window with round head to east of south bell-chamber opening. Original early C13
corbel table and C15 battlemented parapet. Diagonal off-set buttresses to west
angles. Interior: chancel has much restored ogee-arched sedilia and piscina.
Nave has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, corbels
either end of arcades and double-chamfered arches. South aisle has pointed
trefoil-headed piscina and image brackets either side of east window, that to
left with carved head, that to right with foliage. C19 Communion Table supported
by Elizabethan or Jacobean Ionic terms probably belonging to original communion
rail. Large brass chandelier hanging in nave, presented 1808 by Reverend George
Rooke and signed Cocks and Son, Birmingham with 10 branches in 2 tiers, ormolu
rococo flame finial and rise and fall mechanism. Another smaller 6-branch
chandelier in south aisle with similar mechanism; probably part of same gift.
Royal arms of George III, oil on board. 2 funeral hatchments, oil on board, one
with Compton arms, the other with arms of Reverend George Rooke, d,1856, Early
C20 stain-glass windows to chancel and south aisle. Monuments: wall monument of
white marble with slate inscription panel to John Wilson d.1695. Latin
inscription is flanked by volutes and topped by swans neck pediment and
cartouche of arms. Wall monument to Reverend Humfrey Betty d.l737 and his wife
Dorothy d.1717 with veined grey marble apron and lamp with flame finial. Veined
grey marble wall monument to William Underwood d.1760, postmaster of Oxford,
Witney and Burford "who by care and industry acquired/An handsom Furtune/which
he by will divided amongst his/Poor Relations./Being born in this Parish/It was
his dying request/To be buried near the Rails/In this Chancel". Apron and lamp
finial. Veined white marble wall monument to Reverend Edward Lye d.1767 signed
by William Co of Northampton. Apron and pediment, upright oval inscription
panel and bracket in front bearing book, quill and inkwell. Wall monument of
white marble on grey marble ground to George Rooke d.1807, erected by his
father, rector of this parish. Apron with martial trophy and arms and urn
finial. Other early-mid C19 wall monuments. The architect for the restoration of
the church, George Sutherland, was clerk of the works to the Castle Ashby
estate. The work was carried out by the estate at the expense of 4th Marquis of
Northampton.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p471; VCH; Northamptonshire: Vol
IV: 1937, pp298-300; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire: 1932; Parish
records deposited in Northamptonshire Record Office)


Listing NGR: SP8661657063

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.