History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret of Antioch

A Grade II* Listed Building in Denton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2137 / 52°12'49"N

Longitude: -0.775 / 0°46'29"W

OS Eastings: 483796

OS Northings: 257983

OS Grid: SP837579

Mapcode National: GBR CY4.2XG

Mapcode Global: VHDS7.JM5B

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret of Antioch

Listing Date: 3 May 1968

Last Amended: 6 September 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041584

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235483

Location: Denton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Denton

Built-Up Area: Denton (South Northamptonshire

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Denton St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Ecton

Listing Text

DENTON CHURCH HILL
SP8357 (West side)
16/83 Church of St. Margaret of
03/05/68 Antioch
(Formerly listed as Church of
St. Margaret)

GV II*

Church. C13 rebuilt early C17 and again in 1827-8 by Charles Squarhill. Chancel,
vestry, store, nave, south porch and west tower. Coursed squared limestone and
ironstone, slate roofs. Chancel is flanked by vestry to north and store to
south. Vestry has two lancet windows to north and ironstone quoins. Store, said
to have originally been an anchoress's cell, has plank door to south-east with
chamfered round-headed stone surround and lunette to south-west with chamfered
head. South wall of chancel within store has blocked door to south-east, square
hood mould and hollow-chamfered string course or original stone eaves cornice.
Chancel has datestone inscribed 1629 above 3-light east window with chamfered
ironstone surround, pointed head and cast-iron intersecting tracery. Similar
windows to 3-bay nave north and south. Similar heads and tracery to pointed
lunette windows to west end of nave, left and right of tower. Pointed, chamfered
north doorway and 8-panel door with moulded wood surround. Inscription above
recording repair of church in 1827. South doorway has single-stepped pointed
head, imposts and hood mould, probably C13, and 6-panel door. South porch has
stepped and hollow-chamfered doorway with hood mould, small niche above,
hollow-chamfered stone eaves and stone-coped gable with kneelers. Small 3-stage
tower has lancet window to bottom stage west with hood mould. Large 12-sided
cast-iron clock dial above and small lancets to middle stage. 2-light
bell-chamber openings with enriched cast-iron Y-tracery,. Battlemented parapet
with cast-iron corner pinnacles and ogee lead roof with ball finial and
weather-vane. Tower has low off-set diagonal buttresses. Nave has off-set
buttresses between bays, off-set diagonal buttresses and deep coved plastered
eaves. Stonework of nave is banded with ironstone. Nave and chancel have
stone-coped gables. Interior: chancel has mid C19 stone reredos with Creed,
Lords Prayer and Commandments, light timber triple-arched sanctuary screen with
painted architectural decoration and double-chamfered chancel arch, chamfer
continuous outermost, polygonal responds innermost. Nave has plaster ceiling
with deep cove. West gallery on square fluted timber piers with panelled front.
Royal Arms of George IV to central panel; oil on board. West wall has polygonal
responds of former aisle arcades removed in 1827 rebuilding. Tower arch, visible
within tower, has massive chamfered arch on corbels. Mural scheme of 1976,
devised by Reverend Eltoft, by William Bird with scenes from the Bible, the
lives of saints and village history with foliage backgrounds evoking the months
of the year. Font, probably early C17, with low octagonal many-moulded stem and
circular bowl with cross patterns. Monument on south wall of chancel set up by
Reverend David Owen d.1619 with slate inscription panel in moulded stone
surround. Latin inscription commemorating benefactions of William Andrewe and
the setting aside of part of the chancel for the burial of him and his heirs.
Church was originally a chapel-of-ease of Yardley Hastings.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p183; VCH: Northanptonshire: Vol
IV, 1937, p247)


Listing NGR: SP8379657983

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.