This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2236 / 52°13'25"N
Longitude: -0.7978 / 0°47'52"W
OS Eastings: 482215
OS Northings: 259060
OS Grid: SP822590
Mapcode National: GBR CXX.H48
Mapcode Global: VHDS7.4C2Q
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 3 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235409
Location: Brafield on the Green, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Brafield on the Green
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Brafield-on-the-Green St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
BRAFIELD ON THE GREEN CHURCH LANE
SP85NW (East side)
5/9 Church of St. Lawrence
Church. C12, C13 and C15, restored 1858. Chancel rebuilt 1848 by J.M. Derick,
North aisle and arcade rebuilt 1850, porch 1911. Coursed limestone and ironstone
rubble, slate and plain-tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, south porch and west
tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window. 2-light windows north and south,
all with Decorated-style tracery and hood moulds. The walling is of limestone
banded with ironstone. Deep hollow-chamfered stone eaves, diagonal offset
buttresses and stone-coped east gable with kneelers. Aisles have 2-light windows
with Decorated-style tracery and hood moulds. South door with pointed arched
head in porch with shafts to doorway and double-chamfered arch. Small niche
above doorway and paired cusped 1-light windows to sides of porch. 3-stage tower
has small door to south with round-arched head and old plank door, 1-light
windows either side of large offset buttress to west with hood moulds, a lancet
window to middle stage south with hood mould and label stops, and 2-light
bell-chamber openings with transom, trefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil to head
and hood moulds. Massive diagonal offset buttress, gargoyles to angles and
battlemented chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Nave has 3-bay
arcades, that to north C19 with circular piers and elaborate foliage capitals.
South arcade has polygonal east and west responds with stiff leaf capitals, one
circular pier with basketweave decoration to north side, waterleaf to other
sides, and another with keeled shafts to angles, coupled shafts to four sides,
and capital with stiff-leaf and carved heads to angles, both with moulded bases
and octagonal abaci; double-chamfered arches. Norman font has square bowl with
ornament of interlacing semi-circles and circular stem; probably much re-cut.
7-sided panelled pulpit, probably late C18.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p119; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol
IV, 1937, pp228-9)
Listing NGR: SP8221559060
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings