This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2268 / 52°13'36"N
Longitude: -0.7482 / 0°44'53"W
OS Eastings: 485600
OS Northings: 259472
OS Grid: SP856594
Mapcode National: GBR CXZ.9NP
Mapcode Global: VHDS7.Z9B8
Entry Name: Former Engine House at Engine Pond
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235414
Location: Castle Ashby, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Castle Ashby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Castle Ashby St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
12/14 Former Engine House at Engine
Engine house. Dated 1737 with C19 alterations. Banded ironstone and limestone
ashlar to front, hipped pantile roof, brick lateral stack. One-unit plan.
1-storey, 2-window range. Door to left of centre with wood lintel extending over
window to right. Signs of other blocked window or door. Pair of horizontal oval
windows below eaves to left and right of central datestone; both windows now
blocked. Overhanging eaves. The building is approached from path along dam of
Engine Pond and faces the water. Pump Room at basement level. No machinery
appears to have survived. It formerly housed the pump and ram supplying water to
Castle Ashby (q.v.) and was approached by an avenue aligned on west front of
house, portions of which still survive. Engine house and avenue appear on an
estate map dated 1760.
(Castle Ashby Archives)
Listing NGR: SP8560059472
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings