This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2234 / 52°13'24"N
Longitude: -0.7371 / 0°44'13"W
OS Eastings: 486362
OS Northings: 259100
OS Grid: SP863591
Mapcode National: GBR CY0.DHB
Mapcode Global: VHDS8.5CNX
Entry Name: Remains of Former Greenhouse, Attached Monument, Wall, Gate and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235429
Location: Castle Ashby, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Castle Ashby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Castle Ashby St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CASTLE ASHBY CASTLE ASHBY PARK
13/29 Remains of former Greenhouse,
attached monument, wall, gate
Greenhouse. 1695 partly demolished c.1868. Coursed limestone rubble with
limestone dressings. Formerly rectangular in plan and a single-storey, 13-bay
range. 3-bay centre breaks forward and survives to full original height. Tall
central doorway, approached by low moulded stone steps flanked by window
openings of same height and dimensions, all with plain dressed stone surrounds.
Three rectangular blank panels above with similar surrounds. Plain dressed stone
cornice and plain ashlar stone-coped parapet inflected by pairs of plain piers
either end, with taller central section over middle bay with pairs of tapering
piers flanked by volutes with cartouche of arms to centre. Piers, probably from
Easton Maudit House, all carry terracotta pineapple finials. Chamfered quoins.
Wings have been cut down to less than half their original height. Lower portions
of similar windows and chamfered quoins. Former doorway now forms niche
sheltering marble Italian Renaissance-style wall fountain. The Greenhouse stood
on south side of churchyard of Church of St. Mary Magdalene (q.v.) and now forms
screen wall. Against the former doorway and facing the church has been erected a
large stone aedicule framing life-size marble statue of a female angel.
Commemorating 4th Marchioness of Northampton, d.1877 by J.E. Boehm. Attached
wall to right with gate leading from Italian Garden to park. Limestone ashlar
gatepiers with moulded angles, moulded cornices and stone eagles on stepped
bases. Low C19 gate with spear finials. The Greenhouse has been attributed to
William Talman who was consulted in 1695 concerning alterations to the north
range of Castle Ashby (q.v.), not apparently executed. The building appears on
an estate map of 1760 before the park was naturalized by Capability Brown which
shows a formal garden laid out in front on similar lines to present Italian
(Castle Ashby park and gardens are included in the HBMC Register of Parks and
Gardens for Northamptonshire at Grade I; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire:
1973, p138; H. Colvin: A Dictionary of British Architects, 1978, p806)
Listing NGR: SP8636259100
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings