This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3732 / 55°22'23"N
Longitude: -1.693 / 1°41'34"W
OS Eastings: 419551
OS Northings: 608840
OS Grid: NU195088
Mapcode National: GBR J6M9.8P
Mapcode Global: WHC1R.Y6YP
Entry Name: Numbers 1-8 Consecutive with Walls and Linked Outbuildings
Listing Date: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237113
Location: Shilbottle, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Shilbottle
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Shilbottle St James
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 10 NE SHILBOTTLE LEATHERLAND ROAD
9/222 Nos. 1 - 8
walls and linked
Aged Miners' Homes, foundation stones dated 12th March 1927. Orange smooth-
faced brick, part pebbledashed; Welsh slate roofs with orange tile ridges.
Four pairs of cottages, stepping slightly downhill to south. Each pair
single storey, 4 bays; walls pebbledashed above shaped sill string. Projecting
gabled centre bays have 16-pane sashes and plain bargeboards; flanking bays
have door with vertical panelling below 6- and 8-pane glazing; and tripartite
small-paned sashes. Banded centre and end stacks.
Northernmost pair (Nos. 1 and 2) have shaped stone tablets in gables inscribed
'HOMES OF REST' and 'NORTHUMBERLAND AGED MINEWORKERS' ASSOCIATION' and
foundation stones below laid by C.S. Anderson of Shilbottle and County
Councillor T.H. Tully of Amble. Southernmost pair (Nos. 7 and 8) have gable
tablets 'OPENED BY J.C. AISTON, ESQ DIRECTOR OF THE CWS 30TH JULY 1927' and
'AT EVENTIDE'; No. 8 has foundation stone laid by Geo. W. Bartram of Alnwick.
Intermediate pairs have raised brick panels in gables.
Each return shows central projecting stepped stack. Rear projecting gabled
bathroom wings in same style, with 6-pane casements. Each house has back
door similar to front, and two 8-pane sashes with small larder window between.
Between each pair of doors a 1.5 metre-high wall joins centre of outbuilding
block with 2 boarded doors in each half and hipped roof; boarded hatches at
Social-historical interest. Totally unaltered externally.
Listing NGR: NU1955108840
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings