This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3486 / 55°20'54"N
Longitude: -1.6088 / 1°36'31"W
OS Eastings: 424908
OS Northings: 606131
OS Grid: NU249061
Mapcode National: GBR K66L.HH
Mapcode Global: WHC1T.8T5K
Entry Name: The Old School
Listing Date: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041737
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237146
Location: Warkworth, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Warkworth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Warkworth St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 2406 WARKWORTH THE BUTTS
21/255 The Old School
Former National School. Founded 1824, extended by the addition of school
rooms for infants and girls 1852. Roughly-squared stone with cut quoins and
dressings; Welsh slate roof with red ridge tiles. Cruciform plan. Tudor
style. Single storey, 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 bays. Projecting gabled centre has
chamfered plinth and 5-light window with hoodmould stepped up over the taller
transomed central light; slit above. Stepped-and-corniced stack on left
return. Flanking parts have central stepped stacks, upper parts rebuilt,
between pairs of 2- and 3-light mullioned windows; left end has corbelled-out
gabled bellcote with pointed arch and moulded finial. At each end a lower
porch with a vertical-panelled door under a flat-pointed head within a square
frame, with hoodmould. Twin slits in gables of main part, single slits in
gables of porches. All windows 12-pane sashes. All openings in recessed and
chamfered surrounds; all gables coped, on moulded kneelers.
Fenestration at rear altered.
Listing NGR: NU2490806131
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings