This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.347 / 55°20'49"N
Longitude: -1.6087 / 1°36'31"W
OS Eastings: 424914
OS Northings: 605949
OS Grid: NU249059
Mapcode National: GBR K66M.J2
Mapcode Global: WHC1T.8V6T
Entry Name: Coquet House
Listing Date: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041738
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237148
Location: Warkworth, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Warkworth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Warkworth St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 2405 WARKWORTH THE BUTTS
22/257 Coquet House
House and attached outbuildings. Early C18 remodelled c.1822. Squared stone;
Welsh slate roof with one stack rebuilt in orange brick. Irregular parallelogram
in plan. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Left-of-centre renewed panelled door with
5-pane overlight. Left two renewed 12-pane sashes; right blocked doorway and
two similar windows, one inserted in a second blocked door. All ground-floor
windows have keyed supra-lintels. Large upper windows with timber lintels,
holding paired 8-pane sashes. Coped gables; end stacks, left rebuilt on old
Left return shows 4-pane attic casement and 1-bay early C19 wing raised on C18
outshut. Right return shows boarded attic window and attached outbuildings
to right. Rear elevation: 12-pane sash stair window, in outshut, and 2 similar
windows in gable end of C19 wing on right. Attached outbuilding range on left
has inner return with boarded door, boarded double doors under timber lintel,
9-pane casement and boarded door with 4-pane overlight.
Interior: 6-panel doors and panelled shutters throughout. Open-well stone
stair, brought from Brandenburgh House London c.1822, has wrought-iron
anthemion-pattern balustrade, wreathed and moulded handrail and curtail step.
Early C19 cast-iron fireplaces.
Historical note: Said to have been built for the Duke's fisherman. Early C19
remodelling perhaps by Mr. John Forster who bought fittings from Brandenburgh
House to Warkworth House (now Warkworth House Hotel, q.v.).
Listing NGR: NU2491405949
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings