This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4945 / 55°29'40"N
Longitude: -1.6681 / 1°40'5"W
OS Eastings: 421064
OS Northings: 622354
OS Grid: NU210223
Mapcode National: GBR J4SX.N5
Mapcode Global: WHC16.B5W4
Entry Name: Christon Bank Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041821
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236949
Location: Embleton, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Embleton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Embleton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 22 SW EMBLETON CHRISTON BANK FARM
3/59 Christon Bank
House. Early C18, perhaps incorporating older fabric; extended later C18.
Rendered except squared tooled stone on left return and rubble outshut; roof
front slope mixed blue and green slates, Welsh slates to rear; C20 white
South elevation 2 storeys, 3 + 5 bays. Oldest part to right: Central renewed
door; 12-pane sash windows except for two 4-pane sashes ground floor right.
Left part also has 12-pane sashes. All windows with slightly-projecting sills.
Banded end and 2 ridge stacks. On left return pent outbuilding with 2 boarded
doors and 12-pane attic sash; right return shows small attic window. Rear
outshut has 2 flush-panelled doors, one with 3-pane overlight, and several
small-paned sashes; several openings have raised stone surrounds.
Interior: Fielded-panel doors throughout. East drawing room has early C18
panelled wall with 2-panel cupboard doors and fluted pilasters flanking late
C18 Gothick fireplace. West drawing room has stone fireplace with architrave,
swell frieze and mantel; dentil cornice. Old kitchen fireplace at west end
of house has cambered timber lintel. Closed-string dogleg stair in outshut,
probably re-assembled in late C18 or C19, has urn-on-vase balusters, ramped
moulded handrail and square panelled newels. Simple C18 fireplaces in bedrooms.
Extension has collared common-rafter roof with tenoned and pegged collars and
carpenter's numbering; early C18 part has later common-rafter roof with halved
and nailed collars.
Historical note: The east part of the house may have been built soon after
Robert Christon purchased lands here in 1698; the western extension (which
may incorporate an earlier single-storey range) and outshut were probably
built after the Taylor family purchased the farm in 1759.
Listing NGR: NU2106422354
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings