This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3358 / 55°20'8"N
Longitude: -1.7367 / 1°44'12"W
OS Eastings: 416801
OS Northings: 604673
OS Grid: NU168046
Mapcode National: GBR J69R.T2
Mapcode Global: WHC1Y.948T
Entry Name: Pair of Stone Lions South West of Hall
Listing Date: 15 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041825
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236859
Location: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarland, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarlan
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Shilbottle St James
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR NEWTON HALL
NU 10 SE
6/190 Pair of stone
west of Hall
Stone lions, of uncertain date; moved to present position late C19. In
upright sitting position, c.1.2 metres high. Possibly of oriental origin.
Included for group value.
Historical note: A marble tablet to Samuel Edward Widdrington d.1856 in
Shilbottle Church bears an inscription stating "this stone formed part of
the Court of Lions in the Moorish palace of the Alhambra, (Granada, Spain)
whence it was brought in 1829". This suggests a provenance for the stone
Listing NGR: NU1680104673
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings