History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Waterloo Stones 350 Metres North East of the Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarland, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3387 / 55°20'19"N

Longitude: -1.7322 / 1°43'55"W

OS Eastings: 417086

OS Northings: 604990

OS Grid: NU170049

Mapcode National: GBR J6BQ.S1

Mapcode Global: WHC1Y.C2DM

Entry Name: The Waterloo Stones 350 Metres North East of the Hall

Listing Date: 15 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041826

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236862

Location: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarland, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarlan

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Shilbottle St James

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newton on the Moor

Listing Text

NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR NEWTON HALL
NU 10 SE NU 17080498
6/193 The Waterloo Stones,
350 metres north-
east of the Hall

II

Memorial stones, early C19. Sandstone. Three upright roughly-shaped
headstone-like stones. c.O.9 metre high, and a fourth larger slab recumbent
in front of the central upright stone.

Central upright stone inscribed 'NAPOLEON/FINALLY SUBDUED/BY WELLINGTON/AT
WATERLOO/JUNE 18, 1815'; recumbent slab 'G R/11 D N/WELLINGTON/LE MERCHANT/
SALAMANCA/ENGLAND W.S.1/P JULY 22nd 1812/The above illustrious example/most
nobly and gloriously followed/in the course of the same year /by Russia/
Vittoria/June 21st 1815/Shannon/June 1st 1815/Liepsig/0ct,1815'. Left upright
stone 'DANZO/THOMAS PHILIP/Sep 16 1813'; Right upright stone 'DANZO/N. JONES/
Sep 16 1813'.

The 'Danzo' stones are locally said to mark the graves of two French seamen
drowned on the Northumberland coast.

Included for historical interest.


Listing NGR: NU1708604990

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.