History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Togston Hall (Northern Area Office of British Coal Opencast Executive)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Togston, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3172 / 55°19'1"N

Longitude: -1.6049 / 1°36'17"W

OS Eastings: 425171

OS Northings: 602635

OS Grid: NU251026

Mapcode National: GBR K67Y.BR

Mapcode Global: WHC20.BM04

Entry Name: Togston Hall (Northern Area Office of British Coal Opencast Executive)

Listing Date: 31 December 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041833

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236884

Location: Togston, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Togston

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Amble

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Broomhill

Listing Text

TOGSTON NORTH TOGSTON
NU 20 SE
8/215 Togston Hall
(Northern Area
31/12/69 Office of British
Coal Opencast
Executive)
GV II*

House. Oldest part probably a C16 bastle (re-set '1546' datestone);
remodelling and addition of stair-wing probably dated by doorhead inscribed
S
16 T F 85; east range added mid-C18; major additions in late C18 with new
front block, perhaps by William Newton, and west extension to bastle; some
alterations in early C20. C16/17 parts large irregular rubble with roughly-
shaped quoins; east range and west extension squared stone; front block
ashlar except for roughly-squared stone on east. Welsh slate roofs with
stacks rebuilt in brick. Irregular H-plan; original house, with east range
and west extension,forms north cross-wing, with stair and kitchen in
centrepiece and front block with main reception rooms as south cross-wing.

South elevation: Front block 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, sill
and 1st floor bands. 2 steps up to central old part-glazed door in surround
with attached columns and pediment; 12-pane sash windows. Moulded eaves
cornice carried as open pediment over centre bay. Hipped roof with 2 ridge
stacks rebuilt on old bases. Set back to right, behind garden wall is 3-bay
east range: C20 porch on far left to doorway with re-set '1546' lintel;
boarded door and sash windows with glazing bars. Coped right end gable and
end stack.

Right return has similar sashes,some renewed, one trompe l'oeil. Left return
similar to south front (except for 1 trompe l'oeil). Set back left stair wing
has Venetian window with intersecting head. Projecting far left bay is west
extension of bastle with plinth, late C18 sashes, moulded eaves cornice and
hipped roof; on right return are bastle end quoins and blocked 1st floor slit.

Rear elevation: Right part is original bastle with boulder plinth, short west
extension and projecting stair wing; to left of wing 12-pane sashes under
timber lintels, and a blocked slit at mid-height; to right are bastle end
quoins. Wing has C18 windows, coped gable with moulded kneelers and a small
apex stack; chamfered lights on returns, 2 blocked. Left part is rear of
east range, with casements.

Interior: Front entrance hall has moulded cornice and Venetian screen to
stair; ground-floor rooms have corniced door surrounds, C19 marble fireplaces
and enriched cornices - east room with harebell pattern, west room with
fluting and dentils. Dog-leg open-string stair with stick balusters, ramped
moulded handrail and newels. Original fireplaces in bedrooms. Fielded-panel
doors and shutters throughout. Twin segmental-arched fireplaces in former
kitchen. Extensive cellars with brick segmental vaults under front block.
Older rear part: Bastle has metre-thick walls and central C17 door on south
with inscribed lintel, now a cupboard. Segmental-arched fireplace on ground
floor; C18 fireplaces and old beams on 1st floor; 4-bay upper-cruck roof with
collars and 2 levels of purlins. C18 or early C19 wrought-iron grates in all
fireplaces.

Historical note: The house belonged to the Smith family from the early C17
until the C19; a medieval tower a little to the north-west was demolished in
1820.

Listing NGR: NU2517102635

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.