History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn 750 Metres East of Junction with High Buston Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Alnmouth, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3785 / 55°22'42"N

Longitude: -1.6113 / 1°36'40"W

OS Eastings: 424725

OS Northings: 609454

OS Grid: NU247094

Mapcode National: GBR K657.YS

Mapcode Global: WHC1T.62YM

Entry Name: Barn 750 Metres East of Junction with High Buston Road

Listing Date: 1 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041836

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236892

Location: Alnmouth, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Alnmouth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Warkworth St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Lesbury

Listing Text

NU 20 NW NU 24720946 ALNMOUTH A 1068
(East side, off)

10/2 Barn 750 metres
east of junction
with High Buston
Road
II

Guano storage shed, C18 extended in late C18 or early C19. Rubble with cut
quoins and dressings except for brick rear elevation; Welsh slate roof except
for C20 roofing felt on north part. Long low rectangular building. East side
shows right-of-centre boarded double doors under segmental arch, blocked
doorway and 3 blocked windows; row of blocked rectangular vents at mid-height.
Left part of wall, and each return, have triple-stepped batter. Coped end
gables. Returns show similar blocked vents and slits in gables. Rear
elevation shows similar openings; right end part is stone, with stepped
batter; left-of-centre joint and set-back marks extension.

Interior. Late C18 or early C19 strapped king-post trusses, carried on wall
posts at rear.

Included for historical interest. Alnmouth imported guano (used as a
fertiliser) in the C18, which due to its smell was stored as far as possible
from the main harbour. Following the 1806 flood and the change of course of
the River Aln the former estuary silted up and the shed passed to its present
use as a barn.

Listing NGR: NU2472509454

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.