History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Battery over Looking Alnmouth Links

A Grade II Listed Building in Alnmouth, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.393 / 55°23'34"N

Longitude: -1.6048 / 1°36'17"W

OS Eastings: 425130

OS Northings: 611080

OS Grid: NU251110

Mapcode National: GBR K672.CK

Mapcode Global: WHC1M.BP1Z

Entry Name: Old Battery over Looking Alnmouth Links

Listing Date: 1 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041839

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236895

Location: Alnmouth, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Alnmouth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Alnmouth St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Alnmouth

Listing Text

NU 21 SE ALNMOUTH ALNMOUTH LINKS

8/5 Old battery
overlooking
Alnmouth Links
II

Battery, dated 1881, altered World War II. Large squared stone; cut dressings;
pillbox has concrete lintels and roof; brick lining to pillbox and magazine.
Irregular L-plan; sunk c.1.5 metres below ground level are a rectangular
chamber with smaller magazine alongside; above magazine is turret remodelled
as pillbox. North side shows flight of stone steps down to chamfered doorway,
with blocked loop to left, below higher pillbox with splayed loop. Lower
part to right of pillbox has roof of massive sandstone slabs. Right return
shows two square windows; pillbox above and behind shows low door and splayed
loop. To right of door inscribed tablet 'THIS BATTERY WAS ERECTED BY HIS
GRACE ALGERNON DUKE OF NORTHUMBERLAND K.G. FOR THE USE OF THE PERCY ARTILLERY
VOLUNTEERS COMPLETED 12TH MARCH 1881. Similar square window at rear. Left
return shows projecting pillbox with splayed loop in each face.

Interior: Rectangular chamber has corbelled-out course below ceiling and
L-plan hatch into magazine; chamfered doorways into lobby and magazine;
interior of magazine lined with later brickwork.

Included for historical interest.


Listing NGR: NU2504110932

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.