This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3186 / 55°19'6"N
Longitude: -1.7011 / 1°42'4"W
OS Eastings: 419064
OS Northings: 602760
OS Grid: NU190027
Mapcode National: GBR J6KY.H8
Mapcode Global: WHC1Y.VL32
Entry Name: Acton House and House at Rear
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236767
Location: Felton, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Felton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Felton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 10 SE
6/98 Acton House and
house at rear
Country house, c.1781. Attributed to William Newton, for Robert Lisle,
incorporating early C18 house at rear. Rear wing now a separate dwelling.
Early C18 part largely demolished c.1920. Main part tooled ashlar; rear wing
squared tooled stone except for south part of west wall which is brick in
English Garden Wall Bond 1 and 4. Graduated Lakeland slate roof with stacks
rebuilt in brick on old bases.
South front 2 storeys, 2 + 3 + 2 bays. Plinth; 1st floor and sill bands. 5
broad steps with moulded nosing in front of centrepiece with panelled giant
Ionic pilasters, fluted frieze and modillioned pediment. Central old half-
glazed door with side-lights, fluted capitals, frieze and archivolt, all
enclosed under round arch. 12-pane sash windows. Side parts have similar
fenestration, and moulded eaves cornice. Hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks.
Similar 4-bay returns. On right of right return is lower 2-bay rear wing;
left bay shows keyed Venetian window and two 12-pane sashes; parapet
with pediment-shaped centre. Slightly-projecting right bay with renewed
12-pane sashes is part of early C18 house.
Rear elevation shows Venetian stair window with radial-headed 20-pane sash;
wing to left shows two 4-pane sashes under 4-centred arches and Venetian
window on brick part of inner return. Stone end bay is early C20 rebuild,
with sash windows in re-set early C18 architraves.
Largely contemporary interior. Entrance Hall has fireplace with radial
hearth, and fluted frieze. Drawing Room has C20 replacement marble fireplace; chair rail; carved architraves and doorheads; palette frieze. Morning Room shows similar decoration: carved wood fireplace with sphinxes, and fluted frieze with egg-and-dart cornice. Dining Room has C20 replacement marble fireplace, flat plaster panelling above dado rail, and frieze and overdoors with fluting
and paterae. Present kitchen has fluted frieze. Cellars with brick barrel
vaults and wine bins. Roman Doric screen at foot of Imperial stair with iron
stick balusters and ramped handrail; Ionic stairhead screen. Bedrooms have
carved wood fireplaces, chair rails and cornices.
Attached outbuildings to rear are early C18 but much altered in early C20,
and are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NU1906402760
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings