This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3139 / 55°18'50"N
Longitude: -1.9552 / 1°57'18"W
OS Eastings: 402942
OS Northings: 602203
OS Grid: NU029022
Mapcode National: GBR G6SZ.HX
Mapcode Global: WHB0P.YP4N
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 21 October 1953
Last Amended: 25 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041910
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236659
Location: Thropton, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Thropton
Built-Up Area: Thropton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
THROPTON THROPTON VILLAGE
NU 00 SW
16/313 Roman Catholic
Church of All Saints
21.10.53 (formerly listed as
All Saints RC Church)
Roman Catholic Church; late C18 or early C19, altered 1842. Horizontally-
tooled stone except for west end, tooled-and-margined stone with ashlar
dressings; Welsh slate roof. Aisleless rectangular plan, with presbytery
(q.v.) adjoining east end. 1842 west end has boarded double doors in large
moulded arch beneath 2 carved niches with corbelled sills holding figures of
saints. Expanded-arm cross in gable and gabled bellcote with twin pointed
arches and Greek cross finial. Stepped diagonal buttresses carrying small
pinnacles. Built into wall on right of door is copy of C18 inscribed stone,
the original being set in the adjacent graveyard wall (q.v.). South wall 5
bays; sill band, 2-light Y-tracery windows with hoodmoulds. 2 similar windows
on north, the eastern blocked.
Interior: Plastered. Internal 3-sided apse beyond pendant screen of 3 pointed
arches with crocketed pinnacle in spandrels: panelled rear wall with similar
arches on paired rounded pilasters. Moulded stone font.
The Church originated as a chapel attached to Thropton Old Hall.
Listing NGR: NU0294202203
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings