History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Dye House

A Grade II Listed Building in Acklington, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3203 / 55°19'12"N

Longitude: -1.6768 / 1°40'36"W

OS Eastings: 420610

OS Northings: 602956

OS Grid: NU206029

Mapcode National: GBR J6QX.SN

Mapcode Global: WHC1Z.6JSS

Entry Name: The Dye House

Listing Date: 15 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041926

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236693

Location: Acklington, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Acklington

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Acklington St John the Divine

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Guyzance

Listing Text

ACKLINGTON GUYZANCE BRIDGE
NU 20 SW
7/23
The Dye House
II
GV

Mill building. 1775, converted into flats 1968. Squared stone with roughly-
tooled dressings (except for top floor, brick in Dutch bond). Welsh slate
roof. 3 storeys, 14 windows. Each floor slightly recessed. Ground floor
shows C20 openings; upper floors have 2-pane casements with slightly-projecting
sills, those on top floor under segmental arches. Coped gables. The two left
bays are a 1985 extension in facsimile. Similar fenestration to rear.
Initially built as a foundry for tin and iron, and converted to a woollen mill
by John Reed in 1791, remaining in use as such until 1884; the derelict
building was taken over by Ellwood Holmes of Newcastle in 1915 to make Hydrate
of Alumina, a white pigment previously obtained from Germany. A Gilks water
turbine in the millrace provided hydroelectric power, the mill being one of
the first business premises thus lit in the country. The factory closed in
1930 after pollution of the river caused the Duke of Northumberland to refuse
renewal of the lease.

Listed for historical interest.


Listing NGR: NU2061002956

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.