This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3127 / 55°18'45"N
Longitude: -1.8926 / 1°53'33"W
OS Eastings: 406912
OS Northings: 602072
OS Grid: NU069020
Mapcode National: GBR H770.1C
Mapcode Global: WHB0Q.WQXL
Entry Name: Cragside Park House
Listing Date: 22 December 1981
Last Amended: 25 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041937
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236621
Location: Rothbury, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Rothbury
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
ROTHBURY CRAGSIDE LODGE
23/274 Cragside Park House
22/12/8l (formerly listed as
Cottage in the park
House, 1864 with later C19 and early C20 extensions, for Lord Armstrong.
Squared tooled stone, with raised tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings;
timber-framed extensions with pebble-dashed infill; red clay tile roofs.
East elevation: Main part 1 storey + attics, 2 gabled bays. Central semi-
octagonal porch, timber framed on moulded stone plinth; left-of-centre door
half-glazed above linenfold panels, under basket arch; flat leaded roof with
overhanging eaves. Flanking bays have triple casement windows, and attic
casements in widened openings; to right of left ground floor window is small
carved panel with Armstrong trebuchet. Set back early C20 north wing, timber
framed on stone base.
South elevation: Main part 3 bays. Projecting centre has triple casement
below and plate-glass sash under shouldered arch in gable above; on right is
extruded canted former porch, with blocked pointed arch holding later casement,
and blind slits on returns. Side bays have gabled roof dormers; double
casement on ground floor right; flat-roofed timber-framed extension to left.
Far left timber-framed extension with metal-framed casements and hipped roof.
Original house has plate-glass casements in chamfered surrounds, carved
openwork bargeboards with finials and pendants, and 3 ridge stacks with
diagonal shafts and moulded cornices.
Interior: Dining Room has pitch pine panelling. Later C19 openwell stair
with closed strings and splat balusters. 1 bedroom has wash basin on cast-
iron stand painted to resemble wood. Larder or Cheese Room has slate table
and De Morgan majolica tiles.
House may have been designed by the unknown architect of the 1864 Cragside.
It was often occupied by Lord Armstrong, who built several ingenious ancillary
works, and is listed for historic interest.
Listing NGR: NU0691202072
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings