This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4431 / 55°26'35"N
Longitude: -1.8637 / 1°51'49"W
OS Eastings: 408722
OS Northings: 616592
OS Grid: NU087165
Mapcode National: GBR H5FH.9L
Mapcode Global: WHC19.BGS2
Entry Name: Ruins of Screen Wall and End Pavilions to South of Hermitage
Listing Date: 25 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041968
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236598
Location: Hedgeley, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Hedgeley
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
HEDGELEY SHEPHERDS LAW
NU Ol NE NU 087166
4/253 Ruins of screen
wall and end
pavilions to south
Probable eyecatcher, early C18. Squared stone. 1+3+1+3+1 bays. Centre, with
triple-arched entrance, largely fallen. Flanking parts have blind arcades of
round arches with alternating long and short voussoirs, on projecting imposts;
chamfered cornice and blocking course; small windows in some arches. Projecting
end pavilions have taller but similar blind arches holding windows; right
pavilion partly fallen.
Probably constructed as an eyecatcher, although there are associations with a
manorial court founded by the Brownes of Shawdon c.1710. In later years there
was a small farm on the site, now replaced by a hermitage; at time of survey
this is being enlarged to form a small monastery/retreat centre, and the
fallen parts of the C18 structure are being restored.
Listing NGR: NU0872216592
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings