This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4689 / 55°28'8"N
Longitude: -1.8336 / 1°50'1"W
OS Eastings: 410616
OS Northings: 619463
OS Grid: NU106194
Mapcode National: GBR H5M6.TC
Mapcode Global: WHC13.TS1V
Entry Name: Church of St Maurice
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041975
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236511
Location: Eglingham, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Eglingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Eglingham St Maurice
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
EGLINGHAM EGLINGHAM VILLAGE
(South side, off)
19/170 Church of
31.12.69 St. Maurice
Parish church. Fabric of uncertain medieval date in nave, north chapel and
chancel; west tower later C13; nave and chancel partly rebuilt c.1650; south
wall of nave rebuilt again late C18; vestry dated 1826 on lintel; south
transept added, east end rebuilt, and north chapel partly rebuilt c.1837 by
J. Green; porch 1865; designed by Archdeacon Coxe; tower parapet and spire
rebuilt 1870; east window replaced early C20. Medieval and C17 parts rubble
except for tower of large squared stone; C18/19 parts squared stone; Welsh
slate roofs and spire. Aisleless nave with west tower, north-west porch,
north chapel (Ogle Pew) and south transept; chancel with north vestry.
Nave has two 2-light windows on south, C18 altered c.1837; two C18 lancets and
C19 stepped buttress on north. 2 small blocked lancets on west, flanking
tower with tall chamfered plinth and set-back below belfry; stepped stair
projection on north. West lancet with square-headed window over, high-set
lancet on south above blocked loop, paired lancet belfry openings. Parapet
and octagonal spire with slate-hung lucarnes and wrought-iron finial cross.
Porch has plinth, moulded sill string and linked hoodmoulds. 2-light window
on north and boarded door on west under gables. North chapel has C19 2-light
window on north and moulded doorway on west; south transept has chamfered
plinth, angle buttresses, 4-light south window and 2-light east and west
windows. Chancel has priests' door flanked by windows of 3 round-headed
lights, all under hoodmoulds; 3-light east window. Vestry has blocked doorway
on east and 3-light window on north. Coped gables on moulded kneelers; ring-
Interior plastered except for east wall of nave. Chamfered round chancel arch
on chamfered imposts is probably a C17 re-use of older material. C19 arches
elsewhere. Nave, chapel and transept have collar-beam roofs on moulded
corbels; chancel has early C20 boarded barrel ceiling with moulded wall plate
on carved corbels. Inside tower, rebated arched cupboard on 1st floor.
Blocked lancet on east may be early C13 west window of nave prior to addition
Old box pews in south transept, 2 with brass nameplates. Pulpit, reading desk
and lectern of 1905; carved panels with linenfold and tracery. Carved and
moulded octagonal font dated 1663. Cross slab of c.1530 with arms of Henry
Ogle, in floor of north chapel. 1808 wall tablet to Rev. Jas. Somerville
'24 Years Minister of the Dissenting Congregation of Branton', in south
transept; some old ledger stones in chancel, and C19 wall tablets in nave.
East window Transfiguration, dated 1908. 2 medieval bells in tower: C13 or
early C14 trebf inscribed 'AIRAM EVA', tenor (from Old Bewick) inscribed
'+ Antonises minen name ic ben gemacet int iaer MCCCCLXXXIX' (not seen). In
porch C12 font bowl from Branton, head of C15 cross slab and C18 headstone.
Listing NGR: NU1061619463
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings