This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4245 / 55°25'28"N
Longitude: -1.8899 / 1°53'23"W
OS Eastings: 407068
OS Northings: 614510
OS Grid: NU070145
Mapcode National: GBR H57Q.N9
Mapcode Global: WHB04.YX7F
Entry Name: The World Bird Research Station
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Last Amended: 25 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041985
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236542
Location: Glanton, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Glanton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
GLANTON FRONT STREET
21/199 The World Bird
as No. 14)
House, 1796 for Richard Hatkin, with earler C18 rear wing; west extension
probably mid-C19. Front tooled-and-margined ashlar; returns and rear squared
stone of near-ashlar quality. West extension tooled stone with tooled-and-
margined dressings; rear wing rubble with large squared quoins and dressings.
Lakeland slate roof, except for Welsh slates on rear wing and west extension.
Main house 2 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, sill bands. Central
6-panel door under moulded hood on corbels; 12-pane sash windows. Eaves
cornice. Coped gables with moulded kneelers; stepped-and-corniced end stacks.
Set back to left, single-storey 1-bay extension with 1910 3-light mullioned
window and stepped-and-corniced end stack.
Right return shows 12-pane sash windows and 6-pane attic sash; set back to
right a single-storey 2-bay rear wing with renewed door and 12-pane Yorkshire
sashes; attached pent closet on far right. Rear arched stair window: 12-pane
sash with intersecting glazing bars in head.
Interior: Fielded-panel doors, folding panelled shutters. Good fireplaces
with contemporary ironwork. Arch to stair hall; open-well stair with 2 stick
balusters per tread, ramped moulded handrail, moulded newels and carved tread
ends. Rear wing has set pot and adjacent tiled bath.
Historical notes: Formerly known as The Mansion, or Hatkin House; according to
local legend the elderly owner built the house so that the prospect of
inheriting it would entice a young woman to marry him. The first Bird Research
Station in Britain was founded here in 1930; the house contains much apparatus
and equipment used in early ornithological research, and is intended to open
as a museum in 1987.
Graded for historical interest.
Listing NGR: NU0706814510
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings