This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3953 / 55°23'43"N
Longitude: -1.8105 / 1°48'37"W
OS Eastings: 412103
OS Northings: 611278
OS Grid: NU121112
Mapcode National: GBR H6S1.VR
Mapcode Global: WHC1J.5N47
Entry Name: Lemmington Hall sacred Heart Convent
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041996
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236463
Location: Edlingham, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Edlingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
EDLINGHAM LEMMINGTON HALL
NU 11 SW
9/122 Lemmington Hall
31.12.69 (Sacred Heart
Country house, c.1750 for Nicholas Fenwick, incorporating C15 towerhouse of
Beadnell family; late C18 alterations by William Newton; roofless ruin in late
C19, restored 1913 for Sir Stephen Aitchison; converted to convent 1947.
House tooled ashlar, tower squared stone; graduated Lakeland slate roof.
Plan: ranges around small court, open to north-east; L-plan tower incorporated
into north-east end of south-east range.
South-east elevation 2 storeys, 9 bays. Centre bay projects and 2 end bays
on either side are set back. High plinth to ground floor sill band. 5
semicircular steps to panelled double door with sidelights; stone cornice and
radial fanlight above in triple-keyed archivolt within broken pediment. Group
of 3 windows above, the outer ones narrower. Ground-floor windows 12-pane
sashes, upper windows 6-pane sashes, all in architraves, those on ground floor
with swell friezes and cornices, and with pediments except in set-back outer
sections. Moulded and modillioned eaves cornice and central pediment.
Parapet behind, carried over pediment, and with urn finials at angles. 2
corniced stacks, irregularly placed.
On left return projecting 3-bay pedimented wing of 1913 in similar style.
Right return shows large stepped buttress of 1913 with exposed masonry of C15
tower house to right; C20 fenestration (utilising imported medieval material)
and embattled parapet. Imposing early C20 round-arched entrance and Venetian
window on rear wing set back to right. Right return of tower shows early C20
traceried lst-floor windows.
Interior: Internal features of house c.1913 re-using stair balustrades, doors
and architraves, window seats etc. from London, mainly from Camelford House,
Park Lane. Other woodwork, including panelling in chapel, from Chateau at
Bar-le-duc, France. Tower retains barrel-vaulted basement and newel stair in
south turret; 1st floor chamber, now chapel, has re-set roll-moulded C16
fireplace behind reredos and mural chamber with oubliette.
C20 glazed front porch, single-storey extension to south-west, and later
north-west extension linking to outbuildings are not of interest.
Listing NGR: NU1210311278
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings