This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3183 / 55°19'5"N
Longitude: -1.8897 / 1°53'23"W
OS Eastings: 407095
OS Northings: 602692
OS Grid: NU070026
Mapcode National: GBR H67Y.PC
Mapcode Global: WHB0Q.YL99
Entry Name: Cragside Visitor Centre tumbleton Stables
Listing Date: 8 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042034
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236351
Location: Cartington, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Cartington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
24/14 Cragside Visitor
Stable block, now visitor centre. c.1864, extended and remodelled 1892-3 for
Lord Armstrong. Architect unknown but the remodelling is in a Free Tudor
style reminiscent of Norman Shaw. Snecked rock-faced stone with rock-faced-
and-margined ashlar dressings; some timber-framing; red clay tile roof.
Ranges around rectangular yard.
South elevation single-storey, except gate tower, 5 bays: Central tower with
stepped buttresses flanking large double-chamfered 4-centred arch with
hoodmould and string course above, and ornamental wrought-iron lamp bracket.
2 raised square tablets with clock above and between, all under hoodmoulds.
Moulded cornice to projecting eaves; swept pyramidal roof has flat-topped
dormer with four 12-pane casements, and wrought-iron finial with weathervane.
On left is semi-octagonal stair turret with a stone slab roof. Flanking
bays have 2-light mullioned and mullioned-and-transomed windows under straight
hoodmoulds, and dormers as on tower. Gabled end bays have 3-light mullioned-
and-transomed windows with slits above.
5-bay west elevation shows similar detail; central 2-storey tower with timber-
framed 1st floor; panelled pitching door under 4-centred arch under corbelled-
out gable with ornamental studding and bargeboards. Square ridge cupola,
on swept patterned lead base, has louvred sides and swept pyramidal roof with
Elevations to courtyard: East range, backed by cliff, has 2-storey central
tower with 4-centred doorway flanked by 2-light mullioned-and-transomed
windows, shouldered-arched pitching door flanked by triplets of slits, and
timber-framed gable on corbels. Centre tower of west range has attached
3-step mounting block.
Interiors: Stables in both east and west ranges have cast iron and boarded
stall divisions, with ball finials on posts.
Listing NGR: NU0709502692
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings