This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4203 / 55°25'12"N
Longitude: -1.7194 / 1°43'9"W
OS Eastings: 417861
OS Northings: 614075
OS Grid: NU178140
Mapcode National: GBR J5FR.KT
Mapcode Global: WHC1K.K1G2
Entry Name: Alnwick Abbey Gatehouse
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Last Amended: 28 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042051
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236393
Location: Denwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Denwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
DENWICK HULNE PARK
NU 11 SE
10/57 Alnwick Abbey
31.12.69 Gatehouse (formerly
listed as part of
Gatehouse of Premonstratensian Abbey. Late C14, with some minor late C18/C19
alterations and restoration. Ashlar; Lakeland slate roof. Rectangular 2-
storey block with projecting taller angle turrets. Perpendicular style.
North (formerly external) front: Gothick panelled double doors under moulded
segmental arch, with small recesses to each side and 2 niches above, the lower
with worn statue. Machicolated parapet with shields and moulded crenellations.
Flanking turrets, corbelled out at different levels, have small loops, some
with trefoiled ogee heads. Single storey block on right, probably post-medieval,
with 2 small loops.
South front shows similar arch with 2-light transomed window above. Flat-
pointed doorways in turrets, that to right blocked; left turret has 2-light
transomed window with cusped heads to lights and metal lattice casements.
East side has deeply-recessed centre with blocked 4-centred arch under canopied
niche, with transomed and traceried 2-light windows above and in turret to
right; carved hoodmould stops and heraldry on turrets and machicolated parapet.
West side shows small loops and corbelled-out garderobe below parapet.
Interior: Segmental barrel vault over gate passage. Straight mural stair to
1st floor in west wall, and full-height newel stair in south-east turret.
4-centred arched doorways to stairs and turret chambers.
Historical Notes. Abbey founded in 1147 by Eustace Fitz-John; famous for its
relics, the foot of Simon de Montfort and the chalice of St. Thomas of
Canterbury. The main buildings lay south of the gatehouse; after excavation
in 1884 the plan was marked out but is now only traceable with difficulty.
W.H. St. John Hope, article in Archaeol.J. XLIV (1887) 337-46.
Listing NGR: NU1786214072
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings