This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4352 / 55°26'6"N
Longitude: -1.7434 / 1°44'36"W
OS Eastings: 416336
OS Northings: 615731
OS Grid: NU163157
Mapcode National: GBR J58L.CG
Mapcode Global: WHC1C.6N25
Entry Name: Hulne Friary; Ruins of Church and Claustral Buildings
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042054
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236399
Location: Denwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Denwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
DENWICK HULNE PARK
NU 11 NE
6/63 Hulne Friary;
ruins of church and
Ruins of Carmelite Friary. Foundation c.1240 by William de Vesci; claustral
buildings converted into house in C16; some late C18/early C19 alterations.
Squared stone. Long aisleless church with south-east sacristy; cloister on
south; east range incorporating cloister walk, with chapter house and warming
house/reredorterblock both projecting to east. West gable of church with tall
lancet and vesica above; south wall has 3 trefoiled lancets above corbelling
for cloister roof, doorway to walking place between nave and choir, two 2-
light windows to west of sacristy, triple sedilia and part of piscina. North
wall and east end much reduced. Gabled 2-storey sacristy has piscina and
recess with bowl, shelf and flue. Chapter house has double-chamfered door
and 4 trefoiled lancets on south; warming house with fireplace. Transomed
windows in south gable end of east range may be post-Dissolution alterations,
as are blocked openings in south wall of cloister. Wall on west of cloister
is outer wall of former west range, with attached C18 Gothick privy below
earlier 1st floor fireplace and stack; to right is C18 summerhouse (q.v.).
Unusual graveslab with Tau cross in floor of nave; worn slab set in west end
of church brought in early C19 from St. Waleric's Church at Alnmouth. C18
statue of praying friar by south wall of chapter house.
The best preserved and probably the earliest Carmelite friary in England;
foundations of other buildings, identified from C16 survey, excavated 1888-9
by Duke of Northumberland, but now covered over.
W.H. St. John Hope, 'On the Whitefriars or Carmelites of Hulne, Northumberland'.
Archaeol. J. XLVII (1890) 105-129.
Listing NGR: NU1637315700
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings