This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3044 / 55°18'15"N
Longitude: -1.9105 / 1°54'37"W
OS Eastings: 405780
OS Northings: 601145
OS Grid: NU057011
Mapcode National: GBR H733.5B
Mapcode Global: WHB0Q.MXGZ
Entry Name: Wall, Arbour and Base of Tower Attached to South of Whitton Grange
Listing Date: 29 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236333
Location: Whitton and Tosson, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Whitton and Tosson
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 00 SE
4/94 Wall, arbour and
base of tower
attached to south
of Whitton Grange
Wall, gateway, arbour and remains of towerhouse. Medieval and 1921 by Robert
Mauchlen. Re-used old stone.
To left wall c.9 ft. high with round-headed doorway and boarded door. Flat
Similar walling projects on right and contains arbour in form of segmental
recess with re-used chamfered lintel inscribed S E 1706, supported on shaped
Attached to rear, the lower part of one wall of a tower house with very thick
wall. The lower courses of the basement vault are visible. Also to rear,
built into 1921 wall, a C14 piscina with trefoiled head and petalled drain.
Listing NGR: NU0578001145
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings