This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.2458 / 55°14'44"N
Longitude: -1.7715 / 1°46'17"W
OS Eastings: 414625
OS Northings: 594646
OS Grid: NZ146946
Mapcode National: GBR J72S.8B
Mapcode Global: WHC29.RDMV
Entry Name: Horsley Tower and Adjacent Outbuilding
Listing Date: 30 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042097
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238319
Location: Longhorsley, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Longhorsley
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Longhorsley St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 19 SW
5/86 Horsley Tower and
Towerhouse, probably early C16; north wing mid-C17, some restoration c.1930.
Coursed squared stone with dressings; slate roof, except for pantiles on
outbuilding; L-plan, South front 4 storeys, irregular fenestration. Original
square-headed chamfered doorway now blocked and C20 window inserted. C20 door
to left. 3-light window above and pair of 2-light windows on 2nd floor are C20
except for hoodmould of former. Other windows mostly old, some with hoodmoulds;
narrow loops to right for newel stair. Crenellated parapet above cut-back string
course, stair turret rising slightly higher; hipped roof. 1-storey outbuilding
to left has lean-to roof with crow-stepped coping.
West elevation of wing 3 storeys, 2 narrow bays; projecting right bay has
external stair to lst-floor door; left bay has boarded door in moulded flat-
pointed surround; paired 8-pane sashes in architrave above. Right return shows
varied fenestration including old barred 4-pane casement; at right windows in
architraves. Rear elevation:gable end of wing has irregular projecting stack
with 2nd-floor 2-light window in raised moulded surround, to right.
Interior: barrel-vaulted ground floor with separate vaulted chambers to east,
former entrance lobby on south to stone newel stair at south-east angle. 1st
floor has original fireplace with lintel on moulded corbels and segmental
relieving arch above; chamfered segmental rear arches to some windows. Early
C18 panelling on 2nd floor.
The tower, built by the Horsley family, passed c.1685 to the Widdringtons and
c.1763 to the Riddells, Roman Catholic families who converted the top floor into
a chapel, which remained in use until the present Catholic Church (q.v.) was
built in 1841.
Articles by R. Bibby in Northumbriana 16-19 (1979/80)
Listing NGR: NZ1462594646
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings