History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Ulgham, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.226 / 55°13'33"N

Longitude: -1.6326 / 1°37'57"W

OS Eastings: 423470

OS Northings: 592482

OS Grid: NZ234924

Mapcode National: GBR K810.CF

Mapcode Global: WHC2C.WXR1

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 20 October 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1042101

English Heritage Legacy ID: 238226

Location: Ulgham, Northumberland, NE61

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Ulgham

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Ulgham St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Widdrington

Listing Text

ULGHAM ULGHAM VILLAGE
NZ 29 SW
7/83 Church of St. John
the Baptist
20.10.69
CV II
Parish church, on medieval site. Chancel 1842, remainder 1863. 1842 work
squared stone, 1863 work rough-faced stone, ashlar dressings; slate roof.
Nave with 3-bay north aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. Free
Romanesque style. South side of nave has chamfered plinth, sill string and
eaves cornice. Porch with steeply-pitched coped gable and moulded arch in
second bay; window to west and 4 to east, all in chamfered surrounds. West
end shows 2 similar windows and gabled twin bellcote, and built-in earlier
fragment including C12 window head. 2-light window on west and 2 groups of
3 single windows on north of aisle. 2-bay chancel has chamfered plinth and
sill string, pilaster buttress on south and clasping buttresses to east.
South windows have hoodmoulds with cruciform stops. Stepped triplet to east
with chamfered jambs, roll-moulded arches and hoods. Round window with zig-zag
surround above. Vestry windows similar to south chancel; shoulder-arched
doorway on north. Cross finials on gables.

Interior: north arcade has moulded arches on heavy round columns, various
capitals. Roll-moulded and chamfered chancel arch on responds with scallop
capitals. Small arch on north opens into pulpit from vestry entrance lobby.
Simple sedile and aumbry in chancel. West end and north aisle windows have
shouldered rear arches. Crown-post roof to nave, collar-beam roof to chancel.

Elaborate C19 font with spiral volutes at angles. Early C20 inlaid panelled
pulpit. C12 window head with relief carving of angel (?), mounted figure and
2 birds, built into east wall of aisle.


Listing NGR: NZ2347092482

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.