This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1936 / 55°11'37"N
Longitude: -1.6475 / 1°38'50"W
OS Eastings: 422540
OS Northings: 588873
OS Grid: NZ225888
Mapcode National: GBR J8YD.31
Mapcode Global: WHC2K.NQPC
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 20 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238180
Location: Longhirst, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Longhirst
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Longhirst St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
LONGHIRST LONGHIRST VILLAGE
11/36 Church of St. John
Parish Church, 1876, by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Rock-faced stone with ashlar
dressings; red tile roof. Nave with south aisle and north-west tower/porch,
chancel with south organ chamber and north vestry. Free C13 style with Geometric
tracery. High chamfered plinth, stepped buttresses,clasping buttresses to tower
and eastern arms, moulded sill string, hollow-chamfered eaves cornice, foliage
stops to hoodmoulds.
Tower has double doors in triple-chamfered arch, lancet over. Chamfered, set-back
belfry stage. Heavy eaves corbel table and broach spire rock-faced up to a
moulded string, upper part with 4 lucarnes; stair turret on west. 3-bay north
wall of nave has two 2-light windows and lancet. West end: tall 2-light window
flanked by lancets, and set back to right west aisle lancet. String course over
head of central window. South wall has low eaves, two 2-light windows in half
dormers. Chancel arms have 2-light windows with pierced circles above,
Y-tracery windows on single lancets. Stepped triplet in east end. Both gable
ends coped with crosses.
Interior plastered,with ashlar features. 4-bay south arcade with clustered columns
alternately of marble. Tall double-chamfered chancel arch on colonnettes over
stone corbels. Aumbry on north and sedilia on south chancel wall. East lancets
have black marble jamb shafts and hoodmould with leafy carved stops. Arch-braced
timber roofs, the chancel panelled; aisle dormer roofs with hip rafters and
collars. Chancel screen carved by the Rev. Proctor (vicar 1885-1916) and his
parishioners; screens to vestry and organ chamber. Carved stone reredos in
panelled east wall. Original tiled floors, elaborately patterned in sanctuary.
Well-carved bench seating in nave and choir, the latter with poppy-head bench ends.
Listing NGR: NZ2254088873
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings