This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.2959 / 55°17'45"N
Longitude: -1.7075 / 1°42'26"W
OS Eastings: 418673
OS Northings: 600233
OS Grid: NU186002
Mapcode National: GBR J7J6.4D
Mapcode Global: WHC24.R43Y
Entry Name: Thirston House with Attached Outbuildings and Courtyard Wall
Listing Date: 20 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042140
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238214
Location: Thirston, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Thirston
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Felton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
THIRSTON WEST THIRSTON
NU 10 SE
1/71 Thirston House with
20.10.69 attached outbuildings
and courtyard wall
House, c. 1820 by John Dobson for Newton family, altered and remodelled
internally in 1902. Ashlar, rear wing and outbuildings squared stone; grey
slate roof. L-plan, together with stable wing enclosing 3 sides of rear
courtyard. Entrance (south) front 2 storeys, 4 bays. 3 steps up to raised
platform in front of central Tuscan porch, distyle in antis with panelled
double doors. Flanking openings infilled and glazed in 1902. 12-pane sash
windows. Hipped roof with 2 stepped and corniced ridge stacks.
Left return: 4 bays with similar fenestration; added conservatory on-left,
To far left yard wall with square gate piers links to end of stable wing. Right
return (garden front) 4 bays and 1-storey right projection of 1902. Rear wing
slightly set back, 4 irregular bays, the first 3 with 1st floor added 1902.
Rear elevation of stable wing shows boarded loading door with re-used lintel
Interior: Most fittings 1902, including panelled entrance hall with open-well
stair and good plaster ceiling.
Listing NGR: NU1867300233
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings