This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.6447 / 55°38'40"N
Longitude: -2.1638 / 2°9'49"W
OS Eastings: 389786
OS Northings: 639024
OS Grid: NT897390
Mapcode National: GBR F3B5.BC
Mapcode Global: WH9Z1.QDS2
Entry Name: Pallinsburn
Listing Date: 21 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042162
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238088
Location: Ford, Northumberland, TD12
Civil Parish: Ford
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Ford And Etal
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NT 83 NE
Country house. Late C18 or early C19, extended mid C19. The main block
remodelled 1912 for Charles Mitchell. Top storey removed and house
redecorated internally c.1933. Brick in Flemish bond, much of the brick old
and said to be Dutch. Wings have Scottish slate roofs, the main block a
flat concrete roof, hidden behind parapets. Jacobean style. 2 storeys.
Slightly irregular 7-bay centre with projecting 2-storey, 6-bay wings.
Centre block: upper floor set back. 2-bay loggias left and right with Tuscan
columns. Central round-headed doorway with 3-light mullioned overlight, set
in moulded alternating-block surround. 6-light mullioned-and-transomed
window to right, 2 cross windows to left. On 1st floor a large central
canted bay window with 2 transoms. 3-light mullioned-and-transomed windows
with segmental pediments. Balustraded parapets to ground and 1st floor.
Tall corniced stacks. Wings have 12-pane sashes in architraves.
Interior: Dining room has barrel-vaulted Tudor-style plaster ceiling with
intersecting ribs framing panels with reliefs of wild animals. Re-used
Jacobean panelling with Ionic pilasters and frieze with strapwork. Re-used
C17 fireplace with moulded surround and jewel stops; above a plaster
inscription BELLO CONTRA TEUTONES FINIT CAROLVS MITCHELL ATQUE UXOR ETUS
SPES RIVVLO PAVLINI RURSUS ACCESSERVENT. Oak room has re-used C16 panelling,
partly linenfold and partly medallion heads. Plaster ceiling. Library has
ceiling with curved ribs forming ogee-headed panels bearing thistles; a
frieze in Baroque style with cherubs and festoons. Hall has screen of 3
Tuscan columns with acanthus necking. Octagon room, fireplace by Bossi;
re-used early C18 niche and panelling. Much more similar decoration.
Listing NGR: NT8978639024
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings