This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.6481 / 55°38'53"N
Longitude: -2.115 / 2°6'53"W
OS Eastings: 392862
OS Northings: 639399
OS Grid: NT928393
Mapcode National: GBR F3N4.X4
Mapcode Global: WH9Z2.H93G
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 21 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042179
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238043
Location: Ford, Northumberland, TD12
Civil Parish: Ford
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Ford And Etal
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
16/76 Church of St. Mary
Church. 1858 by William Butterfield for Lady Fitz Clarence. Pink
sandstone ashlar with dressings and bands of beige sandstone. Graduated
Lakeland slate roofs with cresting of tiles. Decorated style. Nave, chancel,
north porch, south chapel and vestry.
Three-bay nave has porch to right with pointed-arched doorways, semicircular
responds with moulded capitals and very steeply-pitched roof with foliated-
cross finial. One-light cusped windows. Gabled buttress marks junction of
nave and chancel. Against chancel a lean-to vestry, with trefoil-headed
doorway on right return. Three-light west and east windows. Extremely high
and steeply-pitched roof. Steeply-gabled bellcote between nave and chancel
has a pair of cusped ogee bell openings and above an oval opening with two
mouchettes and a quatrefoil. South chapel under separate and similar roof;
rose window in east end; west end has 2-light window and, beneath, a doorway
with shouldered lintel.
Interior: broad chancel arch with semicircular responds. Low wrought-iron
screen and chancel gates. Two 3-light Decorated openings into south chapel.
Piscina with Decorated open-work tracery. Wrought-iron altar rails. Nave has
king-post roof. Chancel is half a scissor-brace roof and half boarded, the
beams painted with stars and rosettes.
Listing NGR: NT9286239399
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings