This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.6309 / 55°37'51"N
Longitude: -2.1729 / 2°10'22"W
OS Eastings: 389211
OS Northings: 637495
OS Grid: NT892374
Mapcode National: GBR F38B.C9
Mapcode Global: WH9Z1.LQHM
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 21 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042191
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237969
Location: Branxton, Northumberland, TD12
Civil Parish: Branxton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Branxton St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NT 83 NE
9/2 Church of St. Paul
Parish church. Late C12 or early C13. Largely rebuilt 1849. Snecked
rhyolite with sandstone dressings. Nave, chancel and north-west tower.
Five-bay nave entirely of 1849. Gabled porch to left holds round-headed
door in chevron-moulded surround with two orders of columns and cushion
capitals. Small round-headed windows with chamfered sill bands and drip
stones. Lower chancel in old masonry has no side windows. C19 east window
with shafts, cushion capitals and roll-moulded arch. Tower has 2-light
bell openings separated by shaft with cushion capital. Stone pyramidal
Interior: C12 chancel arch, the arch rebuilt in C13 in pointed form, semicircular
responds and slimmer outer orders of columns on east and west side; scalloped
capitals and moulded bases with spurs. Steeply-pointed arch, the main arch
chamfered with broach stops, the outer arch simply chamfered. C17 altar
rails with fat turned balusters. Nave has open timber roof with arched braces
on stone corbels.
Northumberland County History Vol. XI.
Listing NGR: NT8921137495
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings