This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.6785 / 55°40'42"N
Longitude: -2.184 / 2°11'2"W
OS Eastings: 388526
OS Northings: 642791
OS Grid: NT885427
Mapcode National: GBR F25S.Z8
Mapcode Global: WH9YV.FJ7N
Entry Name: Tillmouth Park Hotel
Listing Date: 22 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042200
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237988
Location: Cornhill-on-Tweed, Northumberland, TD12
Civil Parish: Cornhill-on-Tweed
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Cornhill St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
CORNHILL-ON-TWEED A 698
NT 84 SE
(South side, off)
Hotel. 1882 by Charles Barry Junior, on site of earlier house of c.1810.
Ashlar with rock-faced ground floor, Lakeland slate roof. Elizabethan style.
Three storeys, three bays with lower 4-bay wing to right. The ground floor
is battered. Projecting cross-gabled centre bay has porch with multi-moulded
4-centred-arched doorway, cornice above and carved crest under gablet. Above
a large 4-light stair window with two transoms and semi-circular drip mould
bearing the date on a shield. Three-light mullioned window in the gable.
Flanking bays have 3-light windows, mullioned on the ground floor, mullioned-
and-transomed above. Parapet on cornice with corbel table and Tudor flowers.
At the corners rounded corbel projections bearing ball finials. Gabled roofs
with hipped projections in front. Two-light gabled dormers with decorative
Garden front 5 bays with projecting centre bay. In front of this a flight of
stone steps with side walls.
Interior: 3-storey wood open-well stair supported on arched braces. Heraldic
glass around door and in large stair window. Many marble fireplaces from the
preceeding house. They date from c.1810, several have fluted down-tapering
columns with bulgy Corinthian capitals. The original central heating system
survives with elaborate cast-iron grilles. The house has cavity walling.
Drawings preserved in Northumberland Record Office.
Listing NGR: NT8852642791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings