This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.6465 / 55°38'47"N
Longitude: -2.2265 / 2°13'35"W
OS Eastings: 385843
OS Northings: 639239
OS Grid: NT858392
Mapcode National: GBR D3W4.RQ
Mapcode Global: WH9Z0.RBYN
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042207
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238002
Location: Cornhill-on-Tweed, Northumberland, TD12
Civil Parish: Cornhill-on-Tweed
Built-Up Area: Cornhill on Tweed
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Cornhill St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NT 83 NE
9/35 Church of St. Helen
Parish church. 1840 by Ignatius Bonomi, incorporating masonry from church of
1751. Altered and chancel added 1866. Nave random rubble, chancel snecked
stone; Welsh slate roof.
Nave, chancel and north porch.
4-bay nave has paired lancets with trefoiled windows above. West bay has 2
tiers of paired cusped windows. West end has projection with offsets rising
to gabled bellcote. In the projection a window with shouldered lintel. Left
and right are groups of 3 lancets, the central lancet blank. One-bay chancel
has 3-light Geometric east window. Gabled porch on north side has door with
Interior: West gallery of 1840 on 2 Tuscan columns; modillion cornice and
pulvinated frieze; the parapet bears a mid C18 carving of Collingwood arms
in a frame of open-work Rococo mantling;moulded and ramped top rail. 2 large
Collingwood hatchments of the early C19. Pulpit and reading desk, probably
of 1840, have arched panels, waterleaf columns at angles, and brass
Listing NGR: NT8584339239
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings