This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.6689 / 55°40'8"N
Longitude: -1.801 / 1°48'3"W
OS Eastings: 412617
OS Northings: 641732
OS Grid: NU126417
Mapcode National: GBR H2VW.WP
Mapcode Global: WHC05.9RNZ
Entry Name: Lindisfarne Priory
Listing Date: 22 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237726
Location: Holy Island, Northumberland, TD15
Civil Parish: Holy Island
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Holy Island St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BERWICK ON TWEED
5331 HOLY ISLAND
NU1241 HOLY ISLAND
12/17 Lindisfarne Priory
Ruined priory. Started c.1093. Church is dressed red sandstone, monastic
buildings grey sandstone.
Church: Late C11 and early C12. West portal with 3 orders of columns, block
capitals and round arches with chevron moulding. 2 bays on left, and 2 on right,
of similar blank arcading. Round-arched windows above door, formerly shafted on
upper level. 3-storey turret in south-west corner has slit windows. North-west
turret has gone. 6-bay nave. North wall has blocked doorway with cable moulding
in 4th bay. Left bay has remains of large C14 window. Other windows are narrow
and round-headed with continuous sill band and hoodmould. Flat buttresses between.
North transept north-west corner stands to full height. Similar flat buttresses.
Transept apse stands to c.10 ft with 4 shafts.
Chancel has one original window and one large C14 window on north side. C14
east window, the tracery gone. South side has 3 original windows and one C14
South transept apse largely complete.
Interior has multi-moulded west portal and 5-bay gallery above with narrow arches
and block capitals.
3 piers and 2 arches of north arcade stand. They are of Durham type with
alternating incised round and composite piers. Similar responds in aisles.
2 composite crossing piers support famous' rainbow arch', a chevron moulded rib
vault. The church was vaulted throughout, the springers rising from corbels like
block capitals. Position of original apse revealed by excavation. Church
lengthened and given straight east end 1140-50.
South of church extensive remains of monastic buildings, C13 and C14 including
a barbican and gatehouse between inner and outer courts.
See LINDISFARNE PRIORY. HMSO. 1949. Guardianship Monument.
Listing NGR: NU1263141764
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings