This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.5459 / 55°32'45"N
Longitude: -2.0135 / 2°0'48"W
OS Eastings: 399243
OS Northings: 628020
OS Grid: NT992280
Mapcode National: GBR G4C9.WS
Mapcode Global: WH9ZJ.1VGT
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042332
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237686
Location: Wooler, Northumberland, NE71
Civil Parish: Wooler
Built-Up Area: Wooler
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Wooler St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NT 9928 WOOLER CHURCH STREET
17/111 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. 1765. Enlarged 1835, gothicized 1873 by F.R. Wilson.
Chancel and east vestries added 1912-13. Ashlar with Welsh and Lakeland slate
West tower with attached vestry; nave, chancel and vestries.
Tower 4 storeys, the top 2 storeys added 1835. Original doorway with pointed
arch on south side, round window above. 3-light Decorated west window. Clock
and 2-light Tudor-style bell openings added 1835. Parapet with Tudor-arched
balustrade and small corner turrets. Small spire. Turrets and spire have
weather vanes. Attached vestry has inscription of 1835 over 2-light window.
3-bay nave has sundial inscribed V 1765, on south-west corner. Chamfered plinth, 2-light Geometric windows. Decorative lead glazing patterns. Moulded
2- bay chancel with attached vestries in Perpendicular style. Large 5-light
In terior: tower staircase has stick balusters, turned newe l and ramped handrail.
Inscription in tower hall recording erection of clock 1836 for £189.11.10.
"We take no note of time but from its loss. To give it then a tongue is wise
Wide aiseless nave with flat ceiling. Chancel arch of 1912.
Wall monuments in nave: Francis Haigh,1824 by Jobling of Gateshead, Rev.
William Haigh, 1836 and daughter Frances, 1837, whose "zeal in the religious
instruction and useful employment of the Female youth in this parish ably
seconded the efforts of her father." By Davies of Newcastle.
Listing NGR: NT9924328020
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings