History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ewart Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Ewart, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5779 / 55°34'40"N

Longitude: -2.0584 / 2°3'30"W

OS Eastings: 396418

OS Northings: 631582

OS Grid: NT964315

Mapcode National: GBR G32Y.59

Mapcode Global: WH9ZH.C227

Entry Name: Ewart Park

Listing Date: 21 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1042352

English Heritage Legacy ID: 237633

Location: Ewart, Northumberland, NE71

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Ewart

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Doddington St Mary and St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Milfield

Listing Text

NT 93 SE EWART EWART PARK


4/57 Ewart Park
21/9/51

GV II


Country house. 1787-90, early C19 additions. For and largely by Count Horace
St. Paul. West wing added 1870. Random rubble and brick, all rendered, with
ashlar dressings. Lakeland slate and pantiled roofs. Irregular plan.
Castellated and Gothick style in earlier parts.

South, entrance front has 7 irregular bays to main block. Bays 1-3 are early
C19. Tall 12-pane sashes on ground floor, C20 windows above. Bays 4-7 are
C18. Castellated porch in 5th bay has 6-panelled door and wood Tudor-style
outer porch. 2-light 12-pane sash windows..with Gothick glazing bars. Moulded
stone brackets to guttering and castellated turret-features at corners.
Gabled roof. Only base of chimneysremain.

13-bay, single-storey brick wing of 1870 to left has two 6-panelled doors and
eleven 12-pane sashes in raised surrounds.

North facade has, in centre, a 4-storey, round Gothick tower with closely
studded pointed-arched door on ground floor; pointed-arched windows, 2 of them
blind and painted in imitation of glazing bars, on 1st and 2nd floors;
quatrefoils on 3rd floor; moulded corbels and battlements. Gothick glazing
bars in 3 bays to left of tower and one to right. 3-bay section right of this
has 12-pane sashes.

Empty and partly derelict at time of survey.

Ewart Park: Lee, 1972. Unpublished thesis, Newcastle University.


Listing NGR: NT9641831582

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.