This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4781 / 55°28'41"N
Longitude: -1.9615 / 1°57'41"W
OS Eastings: 402532
OS Northings: 620473
OS Grid: NU025204
Mapcode National: GBR G5R3.42
Mapcode Global: WH9ZX.VK4S
Entry Name: Roddam Hall
Listing Date: 21 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042364
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237562
Location: Roddam, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Roddam
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Ilderton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 02 SW RODDAM RODDAM
7/98 Roddam Hall
Country House. Early C18. Wings added 1768-83 by Lancelot Coxon for Edward
Roddam. Ashlar. Welsh slate renewed hipped roof; also some re-used local slate.
5-bay centre formerly 2½ storeys, lowered to 2 storeys in 1970's. One-bay links
to wings which project to form a courtyard. Centre block has rusticated quoins,
renewed 12-pane sashes in architraves and a mid-C19 porch with pedimented doorway,
rusticated quoins and cornice. Wings 5 bays, 1:3:1. Projecting 3-bay centres with
rusticated quoins. 1½ storeys. Windows in architraves. Right and left, on ground
floor blank, elliptical arches rising from imposts. A window or door in each arch.
The ends of the wings have pedimented gables. Later 3-bay extension, formerly a
coach house, on left.
Garden front similar in style with pedimented wings and architraves to all windows.
Doorway with pediment, Tuscan columns and triglyph frieze. Corniced stone chimney
Inside much changed but mainly with re-used material. Many original doors and
window reveals, and one good late C18 wood fireplace with Adam-style columns and
a frieze of rustic scenes and sea shells presumably designed for Admiral Roddam.
In former kitchen, now the garage, a dog's treadmill for turning the spit. Wooden
with many little turned balusters.
Rainwater heads, one dated 1783.
Northumberland County History Vol. XIV
Listing NGR: NU0253220473
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings