This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.5233 / 55°31'23"N
Longitude: -1.9124 / 1°54'44"W
OS Eastings: 405627
OS Northings: 625509
OS Grid: NU056255
Mapcode National: GBR H42K.RW
Mapcode Global: WH9ZR.LFJM
Entry Name: West Lodge and Gateway to Chillingham Castle
Listing Date: 25 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042394
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237527
Location: Chillingham, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Chillingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Chatton with Chillingham
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 02 NE CHILLINGHAM CHILLINGHAM
5/61 West Lodge and Gateway
to Chillingham Castle
Lodge and gateway. Dated 1835 on lodge. By Edward Blore for the Earl of Tankerville.
Dressed stone. Welsh slate roof. Tudor and Jacobean styles.
Lodge: L-shaped, 1½ storeys, 2 bays. Gabled projecting left bay has stone-roofed
canted bay window on ground floor, 2-light window under hoodmould above. Casement
windows with double-chamfered surrounds. Blank right bay with front lean-to. Gabled
coping, kneelers and finials to roof. Offcentre transverse stack with 2 diagonal
shafts. Small gabled porch on left return.
Wide curved wall, stepped up on right to lodge. Lower left section with 2 end and
two central square piers with roll moulded ogee caps and similar finials. Central
piers have cast iron gates with obelisk finials and flanking, 2-stage square
towers on plinths of wall height. Each has 2 x 2 arcaded lower stage with roll-
moulded ogee roof dying into diagonally-set upper stage with similar top and finial.
Listing NGR: NU0562725509
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings