History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Willimontswick Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bardon Mill, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9663 / 54°57'58"N

Longitude: -2.3598 / 2°21'35"W

OS Eastings: 377064

OS Northings: 563582

OS Grid: NY770635

Mapcode National: GBR CCY0.XH

Mapcode Global: WH913.QFHL

Entry Name: Willimontswick Farmhouse

Listing Date: 24 November 1967

Last Amended: 12 February 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1042497

English Heritage Legacy ID: 239275

Location: Bardon Mill, Northumberland, NE47

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Bardon Mill

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Beltingham with Henshaw

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Bardon Mill

Listing Text

NY 76 SE BARDON MILL WILLINONTSWICK

8/26 Willimontswick Farmhouse
24/11/67 (formerly listed as
Willimonstwick)
GV II*


Manor House, C16 probably incorporating earlier fabric, largely rebuilt c,1900.
Coursed rubble, stone dressings, slate roofs. Double-ended hall-house plan, with
narrow towers at ends of wings. Hall block and west wing rebuilt c.1900 in neo-
Tudor style, retaining original north and south doors to screens passage. Front
(north) door has elliptical arch under square head with hoodmould, partly renewed.
Rear (south) door has more elaborate mouldings and carved foliage in the spandrels.
The east range retains its narrow rectangular end towers each with remains of
corbelled parapet. East front of range, between towers, has 4 altered sashes on
1st floor, with traces of older blocked openings. Interior: moulded doorway, newel
stair and garderobe in tower not seen.

The original arrangement of a central block flanked by 4 slender towers, c.f.
Farnhill House, North Yorkshire, probably derives from that seen on a grander scale
at Langley Castle. The foundations of the west wing towers were seen early in the
C20 when a tennis court was constructed.

J. Gibson, Proc. Soc. Ant. Newcastle, 4th Series II 1925 pp. 75-78


Listing NGR: NY7706463582

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.