This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.982 / 54°58'55"N
Longitude: -2.2479 / 2°14'52"W
OS Eastings: 384229
OS Northings: 565295
OS Grid: NY842652
Mapcode National: GBR DBRT.3W
Mapcode Global: WHB29.F1SK
Entry Name: Haydon Old Church
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Last Amended: 12 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042512
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239314
Location: Haydon, Northumberland, NE47
Civil Parish: Haydon
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Haydon Bridge St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 86 NW HAYDON OLD HAYDON
5/64 Haydon Old Church
(Previously listed as Old
Former Parish Church. Chancel C12, south chapel C14. West end, 1882 by C.C. Hodges.
Squared stone including re-used Roman material, stone slate roof. Chancel with 2-
bay south chapel. South wall of chapel has round-headed chamfered doorway. 3-light
square-headed window with hollow-chamfered jambs and mullions and altered C12
single-light window. East wall of chapel has C14 window of 2 cinquefoil headed
lights with flowing tracery over. South wall of chancel has C12 single-light
window, round-headed and rebated externally. Three similar windows in the east
wall, the head of the central pointed. North wall of chancel has blocked narrow
square-headed door. West end of Cl9 with two lancets, stepped buttress, 2-light
window in C14 style and large buttress incorporating remains of former east window
of nave south aisle.
Interior: C19 2-bay arcade to chapel has circular column and pointed arches. East
end has projecting roll-moulded string forming sill to east windows and carrying
bases of circular shafts between the windows. Shafts probably renewed in Cl9 but
old capitals with volutes remain, no longer carrying arches. Plain aumbry at east
end of north wall. Good C19 roof with heavy king-post trusses. Various C17 and C18
floor slabs and wall monuments. Inscribed C14 cross slab on south side of chancel
floor, another cross slab re-used as internal lintel to south door and fragments
of others set in recess of blocked north chancel door. Internal sills of south
windows of south chapel formed by pieces of C18 monuments with high-relief carving.
Font a re-cut Roman altar.
C.C. Hodges, Proc. Soc. Ant. Newcastle I (New Series) 1882-4, 27-32
Listing NGR: NY8423165297
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings