This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0428 / 55°2'34"N
Longitude: -1.8794 / 1°52'45"W
OS Eastings: 407805
OS Northings: 572043
OS Grid: NZ078720
Mapcode National: GBR HB94.X2
Mapcode Global: WHC37.3HBY
Entry Name: Store House
Listing Date: 22 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238888
Location: Stamfordham, Northumberland, NE18
Civil Parish: Stamfordham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Stamfordham
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/04/2016.
Store House, No 13
(Formerly listed as: No. 13 THE GREEN (South side))
House. Late C17 or early C18. Altered 1744 and later. Squared stone with
ashlar dressings. Left gable rebuilt C18 in brick. Welsh slate roof. Double
span. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Rusticated quoins. Ground floor has 4 windows in
architraves, the centre 2 renewals of 1985, 1st floor 3 windows in architraves,
the centre one original with moulded sill and narrow 8-pane sash with thick
glazing bars; outer windows are C18 enlargements with 12-pane sashes. Boldly-
moulded eaves cornice. Steeply-pitched roof with renewed end stacks.
Doorway in early C20 porch on right return. Similar original windows in
architraves. Decorative rainwater head, dated 1744.
Rear facade: 3 storeys, 3 bays of 8-pane and 2-pane sashes in original
architraves to right. To left a large Venetian stair window.
Interior: 4-storey staircase, possibly re-set, with early C18 moulded and
ramped handrail, splat balusters. Venetian window has fat Tuscan columns and
rusticated arch. 2-panel doors in attic and basement. On 1st floor landing
and in basement, 2 beams with bar-stop chamfers. C18 roof timbers.
The stair ends in a fine wreath in the present basement which was originally
the ground floor until the ground level was raised to provide cellars in front
of house, probably late C18 or early C19. The original front was of 5 bays,
with a porch of round arches and triple keystones still partly embedded in
present cellars; 2 large piers flanking the entrance are also visible.
Listing NGR: NZ0780872042
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings