History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Matfen, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.063 / 55°3'46"N

Longitude: -1.9766 / 1°58'35"W

OS Eastings: 401593

OS Northings: 574278

OS Grid: NZ015742

Mapcode National: GBR G9MW.WV

Mapcode Global: WHB21.L0ZG

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 28 April 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1042747

English Heritage Legacy ID: 238677

Location: Matfen, Northumberland, NE20

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Matfen

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Matfen Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Matfen

Listing Text

MATFEN RYAL
NZ 07 SW

14/193 Church of All Saints

28.4.69

GV II


Chapel of ease. C12, extensively restored and partly rebuilt c.1845, possibly
by Sir Edward Blackett (cf. Matfen). Squared stone and ashlar with Welsh slate
roof.

Nave, chancel and west bellcote.

3-bay nave has much medieval masonry. West end has 2 large old buttresses;
vestiges of quoins perhaps indicate a former tower arch.

Round-arched south portal of c.1845 with 3 orders of columns and unmoulded arch.
Decorative ironwork on door. On either side flat buttresses, corbel table and
2 tiers of small round-headed windows, 2 to left of door and 3 to right.

3-bay chancel restored in Early English style with priest's door and lancets.
Decorated 3-light east window. North wall of chancel blank. North wall of
nave has similar detail with one row of small round-headed windows.

Gabled roof. Large bellcote with stone pyramid roof and wheel-head cross finial.
Base of bellcote on west side has 2 grotesque beasts' heads.

Interior: C13 chamfered chancel arch on C12 semicircular responds; the north
capital has scallops and saltire crosses; the south has scallops and intersecting
arches.

West wall has 19 whole or part medieval grave covers built into it, also several
architectural fragments. C18 baluster font.

Against chamfered south wall outside, headstone to Robert Stott, 1800,well
carved with scrolled pedimented top, angel, festoons and symbols of death and
eternity.


Listing NGR: NZ0159374278

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.