This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1717 / 55°10'18"N
Longitude: -1.6785 / 1°40'42"W
OS Eastings: 420573
OS Northings: 586426
OS Grid: NZ205864
Mapcode National: GBR J8QM.DW
Mapcode Global: WHC2R.58YM
Entry Name: Numbers 1-7 (Consecutive) East Mill
Listing Date: 22 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042753
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238688
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Morpeth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Morpeth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/01/2015:
Numbers 1-7 (consecutive) East Mill
(Formerly listed as East Mill)
MORPETH A 197
NZ 2086 (South side)
Corn mill and miller's house, the mill now used as workshop. C18 water mill
with earlier core, given engine and boilerhouse early C19. Extended as full
power-driven mill 1892. House early C19. Ashlar with Welsh slate roofs.
Brick chimneys. In 3 sections:
To west the original water mill. 4 storeys, 3 bays. On ground floor stable-
type door with wood lintel dated 1798; to right the entry for the mill race.
1st and 2nd floor C20 door and windows in original openings. 3rd floor is
C19 heightening and has 6-pane casements. Gabled roof; the rear pitch, which
was not heightened has reverse-stepped gable;brick end stack. Attached to
right a tall, square, brick engine-house chimney with single-storey engine
house attached to right.
Centre section of 1892. 4 storeys, 4 bays with 16-pane casements divided by
flat pilasters. Corbel table and flat roof.
To east the miller's house, formerly house, tack room and cottage. 3 storeys,
2 and 3 bays. Original house to right has central 6-panel door with 6-pane
overlight and wooden hood on brackets. Canted bay window to left and 16-pane
sash to right. 12-pane sashes above. Gabled roof with flat coping and end
stacks. Cottage attached to left has broad doorway into former tackroom on
left, and 12-pane sashes.
Rear of 1892 section has segmental-arched loading bay in 3rd bay. Inscribed on
top floor "NEW PROCESS FLOUR MILLS 1892".
Interior of C18 section has C17 doorway with Tudor-arched lintel, and 2 blocked
C17 windows. Early C20 water wheel.
Listing NGR: NZ2057386426
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings